Need a cute gift for classmates and friends, or something cute to put in a holiday goodie bag? Maybe you just want something fun to do with the kids?
How about making Reindeer food? This little bag of oats and sprinkles is sure to guide Santa's sleigh right to your home.
Ingredients • Oatmeal, uncooked • Ziploc bags • Small, individually wrapped candy canes (two per bag of reindeer food) • Candy sprinkles • Ribbon or yarn • Paper for gift tags
1. Pour a spoonful of candy sprinkles into a Ziploc bag.
2. Add a scoop (about 1/4 cup) of oatmeal.
3. Smash the candy canes with the back of a spoon while they are still inside their wrapper (trust me).
4. Add the crushed candy cane to the bag and secure it with ribbon or yarn. Pretty it up by cutting off the Ziploc zipper.
5. Have the kids draw a reindeer, then scan it and copy it multiple times.
6. Make copies of a clever, cute poem, such as the one below.
7. Have the kids cut the poems and drawings.
8. Together, cut little squares of red paper and glue the drawing on one side and the poem on the other.
9. Punch a hole and string the tag on the ribbon.
On Christmas Eve, right after we lay a plate of cookies out for Santa, we head out to the driveway to sprinkle the reindeer food, and, what do you know…it's GONE the next day!
Magic Reindeer Food Sprinkle on the lawn at night The moon will make it sparkle bright As Santa’s reindeer fly and roam This will guide them to your home
There is a lot more fun for families this holiday season. Find more crafts, recipes and a full round up of holiday events and parades in our Holiday Corner.